Hashim A. Yamani Fund
Established in 2012
Each year, AAPT awards several two-year Hashim A. Yamani AAPT Memberships, which are regular electronic memberships and include electronic only access to copies of the American Journal of Physics, The Physics Teacher, and Physics Today. These awards are supported by the Hashim A. Yamani Fund, which was endowed in 2011 by generous contributions from several colleagues and mentees of Dr. Hashim A. Yamani, a prominent and well respected physics educator, researcher, and public servant in Saudi Arabia. An individual eligible for a Yamani Membership must be either an undergraduate senior who is planning a career teaching physics in his or her native country, or a graduate student who is in his or her last two years before receiving his or her final post-baccalaureate degree and who is planning a career teaching physics in his or her native country, or an early-career professional in his or her first five years of physics teaching in his or her native country. Citizens of any country in the world are eligible for support but citizens of developing countries in such areas as the Middle East, Africa, and Southeast Asia will have priority over citizens of developed countries in such areas as North America and Western Europe.
Submitting an Application
The deadline for receipt of applications each year is July 1. All applications received by that date will be considered for a membership that will start on September 1 and run through August 31 two years later. A completed application will consist of
1. The completed on-line application at http://www.aapt.org/Programs/grants/Yamani_instructions2.cfm.
2. A one--page narrative statement of the applicant’s background and career plans, including a statement about the applicant’s interest in AAPT and his or her perception of how AAPT might contribute to preparation for a teaching career.
3. The name of and contact information of one individual who can verify the applicant's qualifications.
The applicant will submit items 1, 2, and 3 by following instructions available at the link below. Applications will be reviewed and recipients will be selected by the Yamani Selection Committee consisting of:
- The Chair of the Membership and Benefits Committee, who will chair the Selection Committee,
- The Chair of the Area Committee on International Physics Education,
- The AAPT representative to the United States Liaison Committee to the international Union of Pure and Applied Physics (IUPAP),
- The Director of the AAPT Department of Membership ex officio without vote, and
- The AAPT Executive Officer, ex officio without vote.