Barbara Lotze Scholarships for Future Teachers
The AAPT Executive Board offers scholarships for future high school physics teachers. These scholarships, supported by an endowment funded by Barbara Lotze, are available only to U.S. citizens attending U.S. schools.
Undergraduate students enrolled, or planning to enroll, in physics teacher preparation curricula and high school seniors entering such programs are eligible. Successful applicants receive a stipend of up to $2,000 and a complimentary AAPT Student Membership for one year. The scholarship may be granted to an individual for each of four years.
Students who meet the following criteria are eligible to apply for the Barbara Lotze Scholarship for Future Teachers. Applicants must declare their intent to prepare for, and engage in, a career in physics teaching at the high school level and must, at the time the scholarship funds are received by the student, be:
- an undergraduate student enrolled in an accredited two-year college, four-year college or a university; or a high school senior accepted for such enrollment.
- pursuing, or planning to pursue, a course of study leading toward a career in physics teaching in the high schools.
- showing promise of success in their studies, and
- a citizen of the United States of America.
Applications will be accepted at any time and will be considered for recommendation to the Executive Board at each AAPT Winter Meeting. All applications in which all materials, including letters of recommendation, are received by December 1 will be considered for recommendation at the winter meeting of the AAPT Executive Board.
Applications can be submitted online or with the PDF. You should enter a unique ID at the bottom of the online application page so that you can edit your application if you need to return to it. Emails will automatically be sent to your references requesting letters of support for your online application.
Application materials may also be requested from:
American Association of Physics Teachers
One Physics Ellipse
College Park, MD 20740
Phone: (301) 209-3311
Fax: (301) 209-0845
- 2015 Shannon Armstrong, Grove City College; Raven Marie Hernandez, University of Wisconsin-River Falls; Amanda Casner, Colorado School of Mines; Jessica Kjeldgaard, Drury University; Jason May, Boise State University; Brett Powell, Lock Haven University (Press Release)
- 2014 Leah DeWeez, Southern Adventist University; Raven Marie Hernandez, University of Wisconsin-River Falls; Nicholas Alexander McKinley, Towson University; Alexandra Judith Trunnell, Vassar College (Press Release)
- 2013 Rebecca Napolitano, Connecticut College; Lauren Albert, University of Minnesota; Logan Nelson, Illinois State University; Michael Yohn, University of Wisconsin- Eau Claire; Angela Moore, Chicago State University (Press release)
- 2012 Margarita Apolo Esteban, Massachusetts Institute of Technology; Kristin Rene Holz, Abilene Christian University; Rebecca Kristine Napolitano, Connecticut College; Elizabeth Noel Olson, Union University
- 2011 David McArdle, University of Rhode Island; Julia Carson, SUNY- Plattsburgh; Erin Marshall, Le Moyne College
- 2010 Mitchell Ambrose, University of Minnesota- Twin Cities; Erin Grace, University of Delaware
Honorable Mention: Marissa Espina, University of Virginia; Sarah Prill, Hope College
- 2009 Matthew Colavita, University of Rhode Island; David McArdle, University of Rhode Island; Sarah E. Pfluger, Illinois State University
Honorable Mention: Zack Bush
- 2008 Douglas A. Endrizzi, Yale University; Shaun Piazza, University of Colorado- Boulder
Honorable Mention: Rebekah Myler, Lipscomb University
- 2007 Jeremy May, Colorado State University; Melissa Nemeth, Loyola University of Chicago; Ashley M. Tabb, Virginia Tech; William A. Wiseman, Fairmont State University
- 2006 Brianne Boland, Marquette University; Logan Kimberly, University of Wisconsin- Stevens Point; Alex Silverman, Georgia Institute of Technology
- 2005 Emily M. Zeringue, Louisiana State University; Michael D. Zitolo, New York University
- 2004 Rebecca Wenning, Illinois State University
- 2003 Brett Guisti, Brigham Young University
- 2002 Christine Marie Litoborski, Ripon College
- 2001 Mary Ann Polityka, University of California- San Diego
- 2000 Daniel J. Lappenga, Hope College
- 1999 Christie A. Delzer, Moorhead State University