Barbara Lotze Scholarship
The AAPT Executive Board offers scholarships for future high school physics teachers. These scholarships, supported by an endowment funded by Barbara Lotze, are available only to U.S. citizens attending U.S. schools.
Undergraduate students enrolled, or planning to enroll, in physics teacher preparation curricula and high school seniors entering such programs are eligible. Successful applicants receive a stipend of up to $2,000 and a complimentary AAPT Student Membership for one year. The scholarship may be granted to an individual for each of four years.
Students who meet the following criteria are eligible to apply for the Barbara Lotze Scholarship for Future Teachers. Applicants must declare their intent to prepare for, and engage in, a career in physics teaching at the high school level and must, at the time the scholarship funds are received by the student, be:
- an undergraduate student enrolled in an accredited two-year college, four-year college or a university; or a high school senior accepted for such enrollment.
- pursuing, or planning to pursue, a course of study leading toward a career in physics teaching in the high schools.
- showing promise of success in their studies, and
- a citizen of the United States of America.
Applications will be accepted at any time and will be considered for recommendation to the Executive Board at each AAPT Winter Meeting. All applications in which all materials, including letters of recommendation, are received by December 1 will be considered for recommendation at the winter meeting of the AAPT Executive Board.
Applications can be submitted online or with the PDF. You should enter a unique ID at the bottom of the online application page so that you can edit your application if you need to return to it. Emails will automatically be sent to your references requesting letters of support for your online application.
Application materials may also be requested from:
American Association of Physics Teachers
One Physics Ellipse
College Park, MD 20740
Phone: (301) 209-3311
Fax: (301) 209-0845
- 2018 Melissa Kovar, Boston University; Marika Fox, Clark University; Chloe Schmidt, Illinois State University; Krystina Williamson, Barnard College; Jason Holbrook, Wright State Univ - Main Campus; Genna Brunetta, The College of New Jersey; Marianna Carella, The College of New Jersey; Kaelin Fabian, Florida State Univ; Danielle Schurhammer, University of Wyoming; Nathan Wildenberg, University of Wisconsin - River Falls
- 2017 Melissa Kovar, Boston University; Marika Fox, Clark University; Jamie Lehnen, University of Houston - Downtown; Chloe Schmidt, Illinois State University; Krystina Williamson, Barnard College; Destiny Withrow, Slippery Rock - Univ of Penn
- 2016 Shannon Armstrong, Grove City College; Raven Hernandez, University of Wisconsin - River Falls; Brett Powell, Littlestown Senior High School; Jason May, Boise State University; Jessica Kjeldgaard, Drury University; Janea Edgel, Brigham Young University; Wesley Morgan, Brigham Young University
- 2015 Shannon Armstrong, Grove City College; Raven Hernandez, University of Wisconsin - River Falls; Brett Powell, Littlestown Senior High School; Bryan Battaglia, Utica Academy for International Studies; Amanda Casner, Colorado School of Mines; Jessica Kjeldgaard, Drury University; Jason May, Boise State University
- 2014 Alexandra Trunnell, Vassar College; Raven Hernandez, University of Wisconsin - River Falls; Nicholas McKinley, Towson University; Leah DeWeez, Southern Adventist University
- 2013 Rebecca Napolitano, Connecticut College; Michael Yohn, University of Wisconsin - Eau Claire; Logan Nelson, Illinois State Univ; Angela Moore, Chicago State University; Lauren Albert, University of Minnesota - Twin Cities
- 2012 Elizabeth Olson, ; Rebecca Napolitano, Connecticut College; Kristin Holz, Abilene Christian University; Margarita Kelly, Massachusetts Institute of Technology
- 2011 Erin Marshall, Le Moyne College; David Mcardle, University of Rhode Island; Julia Carson, SUNY Coll At Plattsburgh
- 2010 Mitchell Ambrose, University of Minnesota - Twin Cities; Erin Slupski, Ridge High School
- 2009 Sarah Pfluger, Illinois State Univ; David Mcardle, University of Rhode Island; Matthew Colavita, University of Rhode Island
- 2008 Shaun Piazza, Univ of Colorado At Boulder; Douglass Endrizzi, Yale University
- 2007 Ashley Tabb, Virginia Polytechnic Inst and State Univ; William Wiseman, Fairmont St Univ; Melissa Nemeth, Loyola University of Chicago; Jeremy May, Colorado State University
- 2006 Logan Kimberly, ; Brianne Boland, Marquette Univ; Alex Silverman, Gwinnett County Public Schools
- 2005 Emily Zeringue, Louisiana State University; Michael Zitolo, School of the Future High School
- 2004 Rebecca Wenning, Illinois State Univ
- 2003 Brett Guisti, Davidson Academy of Nevada
- 2002 Christine Litoborski, Ripon Coll
- 2001 Mary Ann Polityka, University of California - San Diego
- 2000 Daniel Lappenga, Hope College
- 1999 Christie Delzer, Century HS