Team Facts & News
From 1986 to 2013, the United States Teams have brought home: 49 Gold Medals, 35 Silver Medals, 29 Bronze Medals, and 11 Honorable Mentions. — AAPT.ORG
REGISTRATION FOR THE 2014 F=MA EXAM IS CLOSED!
Simply complete the short registration form on-line or, if utilizing a
purchase order, you can download a PDF form, complete and send to the
AAPT National Office. We encourage on-line registration. You do not need
to supply the names of students who will participate at this time; only
the number of students.
Proctoring Requirements for the F=ma and USA Physics Olympiad exams
Both the F=ma and USA Physics Olympiad exams MUST be proctored. Ordinarily, the proctor would be the teacher or equivalent substitute.
The requirements for the proctor are that they not be a relative, employer, fellow employee or fellow student, and that they have at least a 2 year degree, though this degree does not need to be related to physics. Librarians would make a suitable proctor, and a candidate may take the test at a library, assuming that the librarian will be able to observe the test taking to ensure the integrity of the process.
Unfortunately, the immediate parents of a home schooled student are not acceptable proctors; in such cases, parents will need to arrange for a non-relative proctor. This individual could be someone from within a home schooling co-op, assuming that they also meet the above criteria.
PLEASE NOTE: Students cannot register for the exam! If someone other than the proctor registers, please email the contact information of the person who will proctor the exam to email@example.com.
The fee to participate is $35 ($25 for AAPT members) per school plus:
- $4 per student - WebAssign
- $8 per student - Downloadable PDF
(Schools will need to return Scantron sheets)
Registration & Exams
- Registration Deadline: December 9, 2013
- Preliminary F=ma Exam Dates: January 20 - 31, 2014
Faculty Members have two options for how students may take the preliminary exam:
- Faculty can request a secured PDF version of the exam. A password protected exam and instructions will be sent to the e-mail address that you provided when you registered, this will be sent in early January. You will also receive by mail, sufficient Scantron sheets for the number of registered students. These will be mailed from the AAPT Office to arrive about one week before the testing dates.
- Faculty can register students to the take the exam via WebAssign. Students will need access to the Internet, but no additional software will be needed. Students can register with WebAssign prior to the exam period and take several practice exams, for instructions go to http://www.aapt.org/physicsteam/2014/pracexam.cfm. You will be sent a password to your institution e-mail address for your students to access the exam on WebAssign during the actual exam period.
Students taking the exam by either the paper plus Scantron or WebAssign options must be monitored and all normal exam protocols must be followed. Detailed procedures that should be followed will be provided for those who register their students to take the exam.